This page is a summary of the results of our customer satisfaction survey that we commissioned in December 2011 and was completed mid-January 2012.
Both online and face-to-face interviews were conducted with Go North East bus users across the UK where 543 passengers were interview face-to-face with another 544 interviewed online, giving a total sample of 1,087. Online interviews were collected via Facebook and Twitter and a database of contacts supplied by Go North East.
More than half of the sample (51%) use Go North East bus services every day or almost every day and a quarter use bus services 3-5 days a week (26%). Only 3% use Go North East bus services less than once a month.
83 % say they are satisfied or very satisfied with Go North East bus services. This is particularly in relation to the frequency of services and the quality and cleanliness of the buses.
Customers are most satisfied with the frequency and availability of Go North East buses (32%), the quality of buses (21%) and the punctuality of service (18%)
Highest satisfaction ratings: cleanliness of buses (81%), availability of information in advance of travel (77%), frequency of services (74%), availability of information at stops ( 71%) and availability of different tickets to suit needs (68%).
Notable Quotes: Satisfaction with Services
- “Customer service provided by drivers, cleanliness of vehicles, clear publicity, good route branding.”
- “Courtesy of the drivers, cleanliness of the buses, ability to keep to the timetable.”
- “They provide an early bus which is good for shift workers.”
- “The cleanliness of the vehicles, compared to those of Arriva. I agree a bus can get cluttered with rubbish during the day; but even then, it is possible to see the floors of Go North East vehicles have been cleaned.”
- “Customer service is always good, and I love the use of social media (Facebook and Twitter). I like that the company are keeping with the times, with iPhone app, Wifi on buses (would like to see this more) and social media. Newer buses are comfortable and drivers always pleasant.”
What do customers think of – Coloured buses, Pricing and Improvements
80% of respondent felt that the distinct colours of Go North East’s buses distinguish them from other bus services.
68% indicated satisfaction with diversity on pricing.
Two-thirds (66%) of those aged over 40 felt that bus services have improved significantly over the last 20 years.
71% felt that despite increases in traffic, the overall experience of travelling on buses has improved during that period.
The largest proportion of customers interviewed (30%) could not name any aspects of Go North East’s bus services that needs improving.
The diversity of issues is evident with no single issue dominating although just under a fifth (18%) felt that the punctuality of bus services needs improving, whilst a tenth said more buses are needed, driver attitudes could be improved and prices should be reduced.
The Nexus Strategy Review (Quality Contracts)
93% support the Go North East Charter for Change in principle.
64% agreed that the management of services by one provider could cause a monopoly and 54% agreed that the review was inappropriate in the current economic climate.